Puerto Rico wins 2017 Caribbean Series Championship defeating Mexico 1-0 in 10 innings.
After going 1-3 in the round robin, Puerto Rico found its 2nd win to take down Venezuela in the semifinal before downing Mexico to take the title. It was the 2nd Series title for the Criollos de Caguas, the first since 1987.
It was a pitching duel the entire way. Puerto Rico starter Adalberto Flores had a no hitter into the 6th inning, but he had to exit in the 7th with a blister on his pitching hand. He finished the night tossing 6 innings allowing just 1 hit. Andres Santiago came in to shut down the Mexico bats for 2 innings, before Miguel Mejia picked up the win finishing the final 2 innings.
The only run of the game came on a Jonathan Morales sacrifice fly in the top of the 10th inning. Yadiel Rivera led off the inning with a double. He was moved to 3rd on a sacrifice bunt before Morales drove him home with the winning run.
2017 Caribbean Series Schedule:
Wednesday, February 01:
- Cuba 4, Dom. Rep. 0 – Full Box Score
- Puerto Rico 2, Mexico 4 Full Box Score
Thursday, February 02:
- Venezuela 4, Puerto Rico 3 Full Box Score
- Mexico 7, Dom. Rep. 2 Full Box Score
Friday, February 03:
- Puerto Rico 1, Cuba 6 Full Box Score
- Venezuela 1, Mexico 5 Full Box Score
Saturday, February 04:
- Dom. Rep. 2, Puerto Rico 10
- Cuba 3, Venezuela 8
Sunday, February 05:
- Dom. Rep. 3, Venezuela 4
- Mexico 0, Cuba 4
Monday, February 06:
- Puerto Rico 9, Venezuela 6 Full Box Score
- Cuba 0, Mexico 1 Full Box Score
Tuesday, February 07:
- Puerto Rico 1, Mexico 0 (10) Full Box Score
Eric Bynum is Managing Editor here at BaseballdeWorld. He spent three years as an ESL teacher in South Korea, and is now working on his master's degree in history with a focus on baseball and WWII. He has played and/or written about baseball for the past 30 years and is an avid Atlanta Braves fan.