Press Release USA Baseball
13-man selection committee will be responsible for identifying candidates for the nation’s premier amateur baseball award
DURHAM, N.C. — USA Baseball announced today the formation of the Golden Spikes Award committee that will select the watch lists and semifinalists for the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award, given annually to the top amateur baseball player in the U.S.
“As the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award continues to grow, it is important to have the top voices in the game assist in the process of honoring amateur athletes,” said Cody Wilcoxson, USA Baseball’s director of communications, who oversees the Golden Spikes Award for the organization. “The committee members are all dedicated to their coverage and support of the amateur game, and their presence on the committee continues to make the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award the preeminent amateur honor.”
In aggregate, the committee members have more than 250 years of playing, coaching, scouting and reporting experience in amateur baseball. The group includes six former NCAA college baseball players, three of which played in the College World Series, and two committee members that coached teams to the College World Series.
The committee is responsible for selecting the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award preseason watch list, the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award midseason watch list, the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award preliminary list and the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award semifinalists.
Once the committee selects the semifinalists for the award, USA Baseball will have its Golden Spikes Award voting committee, comprised of past USA Baseball national team coaches and media, USA Baseball’s board of directors, members of the media that closely follow the amateur game, select professional baseball personnel, and past winners of the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award, representing a group of more than 200 voters in total, vote for the finalists and, eventually, the winner of the prestigious award.
Fan voting will once again be a part of the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award in 2015. Beginning with the semifinalists on May 22, amateur baseball fans all across the country are encouraged to vote for their favorite candidate on GoldenSpikesAward.com. As part of this selection process all voters will be asked to choose three players from the list of names. On Tuesday, June 2, USA Baseball will announce the finalists, and voting will once again commence that same day.
Since 2013, the presentation of the award is held each summer in Los Angeles is partnership with the Rod Dedeaux Foundation. The finalists for the award and their families are honored at the Rod Dedeaux Foundation Dinner following the presentation of the trophy.
The members of the Golden Spikes Award committee are:
- Jim Callis, senior writer for MLB.com, draft and prospect expert who has been covering the amateur baseball landscape since 1988
- Eric Campbell, USA Baseball’s general manager of national teams, former head coach at the U.S. Air Force Academy has selected national team athletes for USA Baseball since 2000
- Shaun Cole, USA Baseball’s director of the 18U National Team, responsible for the selection of the USA Baseball 18U National Team after five seasons as pitching coach at the University of Arizona, a 2012 NCAA national champion
- Justin Dedeaux, Rod Dedeaux Foundation board of directors, former coach and player at the University of Southern California, a 1963 NCAA national champion
- Aaron Fitt, editor and national writer for D1Baseball.com, has covered the college baseball beat since 2004
- Nick Herfordt, Division II, Division III and NAIA correspondent for Perfect Game USA, founder of College Baseball Lineup and the Tino Martinez Division II Player of the Year Award
- Tim Kay, USA Baseball’s director of video scouting, provides scouting analysis for national team selection after previously working in advanced scouting for the Washington Nationals
- John Manuel, editor-in-chief for Baseball America, has covered all levels of baseball for the publication since 1996
- Jonathan Mayo, senior writer for MLB.com, has served as a draft and prospect expert for MLB.com since 1999
- Ben McDonald, winner of the 1989 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award, college baseball hall of fame class of 2008, currently serves as color analyst for ESPN college baseball broadcasts
- Kyle Peterson, baseball analyst for ESPN, has covered college based since 2003, recognized as the 1995 and 1997 Pac-10 Pitcher of the Year, played in two College World Series at Stanford
- Nathan Rode, national supervisor for Prep Baseball Report, has covered high school baseball and the MLB First-Year Player Draft since 2007
- Kendall Rogers, national writer and editor for D1Baseball.com, has covered college baseball since 2000
The anticipated timeline for the committee’s announcements is:
- Tuesday, February 10: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award 50-man preseason watch list
- Thursday, April 9: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award 60-man midseason watch list
- Thursday, May 7: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award 30-man preliminary list
- Friday, May 22: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award semifinalists, voting begins
- Friday, May 29: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award semifinalists voting ends
- Tuesday, June 3: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award finalists, voting begins
- Friday, June 12: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award finalists voting ends
- Tuesday, June 23: 2015 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award trophy presentation
This account is used to post press releases from baseball teams and leagues around the world. If you have a press release that you would like us to post, please use the contact page above or the email link for this user.