January 1, 1961
Briggs Stadium in Detroit is renamed Tiger Stadium.
Briggs Stadium, originally named Navin Field after then Tigers owner Frank Navin, opened on April 20, 1912 the same day as Fenway Park. In 1938 Walter Briggs took over as owner after Navin dies, the stadium was renamed Briggs Stadium. The name would stay until 1961.
The stadium witnessed six World Series, including four titles for the Tigers in 1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984.
Tiger Stadium was used through the 1999 season.
Born on this day:
1911 Hank Greenberg
1955 La Marr Hoyt
Photo Courtesy Chicago Sun-Times
Eric Bynum is Managing Editor here at BaseballdeWorld. He spent three years as an ESL teacher in South Korea, and is now working on his master's degree in history with a focus on baseball and WWII. He has played and/or written about baseball for the past 30 years and is an avid Atlanta Braves fan.